Sunday, June 5, 2011

Birthdays in Kenya

(Subtitle:  I was a 30 year old African pirate)


This year was a pretty big birthday for me, since I turned the big 3-0.  I was lucky enough to have a bi-continental birthday celebration.  Part 1 was in Kenya.  Vicky (who has proven herself to be the greatest party planner ever) was in charge - we decided to go away to Watamu for the weekend.  About 20 folks attended, both from our ADP group and our extended group of friends.  We flew out on Friday night, and the hijinks began straight away - one of our friends went to check in, and found out that he had booked his ticket for the wrong weekend!  He ended up having to purchase another ticket - and coach was sold out, so he had to buy business class!  Annoying, but we got a good laugh out of it - and he teased us about getting free drinks the entire flight!
We arrived pretty late in Watamu and went to the hotel.  We quickly unpacked and headed for dinner at the hotel restaurant.  After our seaside meal, we went into the hotel bar to start the evening - the bar has a big ship in the middle of it, and we immediately used it as a venue for a flip cup tournament.  We had all kinds of matches - Brits v. Americans, boys v. girls...you name it, we did it.  I was on a couple of winning teams, but my skill level definitely decreased as the number of rounds and Tuskers increased.  After we ran out of Tusker, we moved the party to Kalahari, the outdoor bar just down from our hotel.  More drinking, dancing, and merry making ensued.  There were wayyy too many funny moments to write them all, but a few stand out:
  1. As most folks know, I’ve been a little sensitive about turning thirty.   In fact, it’s fair to say I am VERY sensitive.  Vicky spied me walking up to the bar to get another drink, and whispered to one of the Kenyan men at the bar - she told him to call me “old lady”.  So he did - and I WHIPPED around, stuck my hand on my hip, and said “OLD LADY???  Who are you calling OLD LADY???  This is NOT the body of a thirty year old - I WORK OUT!  The man’s mouth just falls open, he is so flabbergasted!  Vicky literally falls over laughing.  Needless to say, “OLD LADY!!”  became one of the catch phrases for the evening.
  2. Last time we were in Watamu, we went to Kalaheri and were followed around by all kinds of men - one, who was particularly persistent, kept dancing all around, and when we refused to acknowledge started saying “Jambo...why are you ignoring me??”  Well, we tried to use it in reverse this time around - using it on random people to tease them.  It totally backfired when someone started saying to us “it’s because we don’t KNOW you!!”  We all wished we had thought of that line the first time around!
  3. At the end of the evening, Vicky, Emma and I left the bar together - as I typically do when I get a little tipsy, I start being very “honest” (which is a nice way to say rude).  Emma and Vicky were trying to get me back to my hotel room...Emma was doing her best to help, but I finally said to her “Look, you are nice and all, but I really only like Vicky.  Where is she?”  Totally cringeworthy.  But Emma is a good sport :)
Saturday we relaxed around the pool, nursing our hangovers.  Then came the highlight of the day - Vicky had organized a chartered boat!  We all dressed up in pirate costumes (again, Vicky’s brilliant idea) and set out on a cruise all along the lagoons of Watamu.  It was an amazing afternoon - everyone really got into the theme and wore hilarious costumes.  We also got to swim a bit - although it was a bit suspect, as the captain stopped the boat and announced that we could swim even though “the water is shallow, there are urchins, and jellyfish”.  Typical - but we jumped right in!  After the cruise, we all cleaned up and did dinner, plus more dancing, flip cup, and drinking - amazing times.
Sunday was pretty low key - we all sat by the pool, read, and basically tried to recover from two straight days of partying.  We did our fair share of pool time - the guys were doing splash contests with some of the other guests, and I had brought an American football, so we tossed that around a bit as well.    It was a great time, and the perfect way to end the weekend.  Sunday night it was back to the grind in Nairobi....but I had a short work week ahead of me!




All 20 of us, at the airport and ready to go!


The birthday boy and girl


The Easterbrook 19 arrives in Watamu


Gearing up for a flip cup tournament!





The winners of the boys v girls match!


Getting ready to go on the pirate cruise - and then Father Christmas showed up







Patrick the glamour pirate


Birthday boy and girl on the ship's mast




What's a pirate cruise without someone walking the plank?  And drinking after?









Saturday night festivities...started with dinner, proceeded to dancing....






OLD LADY????!!


And concluded with me driving us home in the tuk tuk


Sunday afternoon splash contest

1 comment:

  1. I'm 15 years old. I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Asthma,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome,Fibromyalgia, Diabetes Hepatitis even Cancer I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com I also chat with him on what's app +2348149277967 he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guild lines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.

    ReplyDelete