Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Moved Into A New Apartment

Note that the title of this blog post is meant to be sung to the tune of "The Old Apartment" by the Barenaked Ladies!



It’s official - I have new digs in Kenya.  I made the move to a new apartment a few weeks ago - kind of a hectic time to be moving, considering I had to move the day I left for my big trip across the United States for the Convening.  Of course, “move in” is a loose term as it really amounted to me frantically throwing things in bags and depositing them right inside the door of my new apartment, then rushing off to the airport with Vicky.   Seemed like a reasonable way of achieving the goal at the time (after all, I had to get it done before I left, since my old apartment was already rented to someone else), but walking in to that mess wasn’t the best way to reduce my stress level when I arrived back from the trip.
Nonetheless, I am settled in now and really enjoying the new place.  The apartment itself is definitely much nicer - it has hardwood floors, more closet space, two bathrooms, and a (tiny) outdoor patio.  In addition, the amenities are great - there is a gym right in the complex, a pool, and a shared outdoor area with tables, chairs, and umbrellas.  Plus, Vicky and Emma (who are my two closest pals here) live in the complex as well, so there’s always someone cooking dinner...and it’s usually not me!  The only downside is that it’s a bit further away from the shops and restaurants - what used to be a 5-10 minute walk is more like 20-25, which means we need to call cars more often, which means a bit more coordination/pre-planning when we want to go places.  This is a little frustrating to me, because in the States, I’m so used to getting in my car and going when and where I want - it makes me feel claustrophobic to have to “plan” how I’m going to get out and about.  But, I am MUCH more used to this than when I first arrived, so it’s definitely not as big of a deal as it would have been five months ago.  Having the gym right here will also help me stay on track with my recommitment to fitness, and since Vicky and I have no official workspace, it’s great to have a bit nicer “office” (complete with poolside seating, of which we take full advantage!)
The other amazing thing about this complex?  There’s a turtle that lives in the common outdoor space!  That little bugger is FAST - sometimes we’ll see him on one side of the garden, then what seems like 5 minutes later, he’s on the other side!  He drinks from the pool and often sleeps under Vicky’s window...sometimes she can hear him shuffling around at night.  Hilarious. We’re trying to decide what to name him - suggestions welcome!
Below are some pics of the new place - it’s definitely first class!





My bedroom - note all the pictures of friends and family - and the American football!  I'm not having much luck convincing everyone here how great football is - but I'm not giving up yet!


One of the two bathrooms, but the only one that has a shower (the one in my room has a tub).  Scarily, the shower door has a lock that flashes 'vacant' or 'occupied' depending on the position.  Since the door is clear, it's pretty easy to tell if it's occupied or not!


Kitchen - outside is a small second patio with a washing machine, sink and drying rack (still no dryer - I miss those!)


Family room, with sitting area behind


The (tiny) patio - but it's definitely an improvement over the (no) patio of my last place




Views from my bedroom window/the patio


Outside of the complex - I'm the second floor in the back building.  That's the gym on the first floor (with the windows), so I walk by it every day. Now I really have NO excuses to not run!



Photos of the outside sitting area - also known as our new 'office'.  Quite lovely!


Last but not least, the office "pet".  He's a turtle (or as Emma insists, a tortoise).  His name is Tarquin (which is VERY British, and given to him by Emma) but I call him "Bear" for short. 

No comments:

Post a Comment