Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Monday Is A Hashing Day!

As most of you know, prior to my assignment in Nairobi I was training for the Dallas White Rock Marathon.  Accepting this project meant that I missed out on the race - despite all the (early morning) training I had done.  One of the reservations I had about coming to Kenya was my ability to keep up my running regimen - it’s really become part of my life, and I didn’t want to lose it.  I also was concerned that I would not be able to run outdoors, due to the security situation here.
Enter the Hash House Harriers.  What are the Hash House Harriers, you ask?  Well, it’s a group of people that enjoying running, drinking beer, and eating - three things that I absolutely love.  The group meets once a week, at different locations around Nairobi, and does an outdoor run.  The run is “set” (marked) by a different person each week.  That person is called the “hare” and is the host of that week’s activities.  The run course is marked with white chalk dots - they are spaced out, so that the runners have to find the path on their own.  Places where the road splits is called a “check” - you have to send runners in both directions to see which path has the white dots.  When you find 3 white dots going in one direction, you know you’ve found the right path!  Runners yell “on on” to indicate to those behind them that the group is on the right track.  There’s typically a long and a short run - the path for the two is the same up until the “hold” - which is the break point in the middle.  Food and drinks (including beer!) are almost always available at the hold.  Long runs are usually about 8K, and the short run is around 5K.  I prefer the long runs - the distance is definitely doable for me, it’s the pace that gets me - there are some pretty fit folks in the club, so it’s helping me with the speed aspect of my training.  
Usually the runs are hosted at one of the member’s houses.  When the run is done, the group gets together for the “circle”, and the “misdemeanors” and associated “down downs” are handed out.  Basically, members are called out on any bad behavior or anything notable they did that week - and it all has a slightly naughty tone.  If you are given a misdemeanor - for example, I got one last week for being slightly late to the run (this was obviously a pretty tame one).  You are then given a “down down”, which is a big mug of beer.  You have to finish the mug before the group finishes counting to 10, otherwise they dump it on your head!  They also have a group down down device - basically, 3 plastic mugs nailed to a 2x4.  This is for handing out misdemeanors that involve more than one person.  After the down downs, a member of the club named Glug Glug (more on that later) sings a song out of the official hash club song repertoire.  These songs are definitely off-color...topics include whores, masturbating, and shitting on the floor.  It’s a sing along....hilarious!  Glug Glug is about 65 years old...funny to see someone that looks like your grandmother singing about such things with such enthusiasm.  After the circle, it’s time to eat and socialize!
The last thing to know about the hash is that everyone is assigned a hash name.  This is what the club calls you - real names are rarely used.  Names are earned - you have to show up several times before you get one.  I’m still waiting for mine - although (surprise surprise) the names are usually pretty off-color, and are often based on some embarrassing thing you did in the company of the hash, so I’m not in any hurry!
There are lots of ex-pats in the group, including many Accenture folks and members of our “extended network” of friends.  The hash also organizes trips to relays, etc around Kenya - there are some races coming up in February/March that sound like a lot of fun!  Hopefully I’ll be able to work at least one of those into my schedule. 
The thing I like best is that you get to see so much of Nairobi...and you are able to run in places that definitely would not be safe alone.  It’s also a bit dirty - it’s not uncommon to have to cross rivers, run through forests, shanty towns, and dodge animals - I was nearly tripped by a goat my first week!  That was also the week I had to jump a big river of decidedly unclean water - soooo glad I made it across!  I will definitely be doing more adventure runs when I get back to Texas - I take back everything I ever said about running dirty - providing there is a hot shower at the end, of course!
On On!!




Here are a few hashers running through a shanty town just outside Nairobi.  The kids were chasing us and yelling "keep it up" - so cute!  We definitely get a lot of looks from people - but often they are helping us out (they saw the hare setting the run the day before)!


Sinners and Saints run the hash!!


 Some of the scenery during our runs....


Through a farmer's field...complete with irrigation ditches.  We actually saw some pot growing in one of these fields - the farmers were definitely watching us closely!





 
What a lovely layout at the hold - water and fruit juice...the hare for this week was given a misdemenour for failing to provide booze!

Here's the group taking a rest at the hold - watermelon slices and Tusker for all!

Picking our way through the tall grass!  Thats Prisca leading the charge - with Jason right behind!

2 comments:

  1. What a fun way (for you, definitely wouldn't be fun for me!) to see the area! Sounds like this group is just perfect for you--so happy you found it! I can't wait to hear your hash name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you gotten your hash name yet? Do those farmers mind that you are running on their land? Haha. It's hilarious that you found pot and someone Botchy's age is singing those songs. I expect a performance when you com home! Are you ducking down under a fence in that one photo??

    ReplyDelete