Sunday, March 20, 2011

Just Can’t Get Enough

Yikes, it’s been awhile since I’ve updated my blog.  I can only blame the delay on fun times though, so when you look at it that way, it’s almost GOOD that I haven’t written in awhile.
For those of you that haven’t heard, I’ve decided to extend my stay here in Kenya.  The first phase of my project ended in mid-February (right after our Zanzibar trip).  The project sponsors have decided to fund a second phase to do more detailed planning, and I agreed to stay on and finish out the work.  This is exciting on many levels - first of all, I get to spend more time in this great country.  I’ll be here through the end of May/beginning of June, so I’ll get to see more of East Africa and continue to enjoy my life here.  Secondly, the fact that the donors are excited about the project and want to keep going is very encouraging - it suggests that this project might move from just planning to actual implementation!  We still have a lot of hurdles in front of us, especially in the areas of governance (determining which organizations will do what in the model we’ve proposed), but things are definitely looking positive.  Over the next months, we’ll be working on the governance models I mentioned, further defining the business plan, documenting the technology landscape, and doing detailed deployment planning.  Exciting!
I’m also going to get to spend some time in the States during this phase - one of our sponsors is hosting a convening for us at the end of March, so we’ll be headed to Seattle/NYC for a few days, and during that trip, I’ll also get to spend a few days in Dallas (timing coincides nicely with Opening Day for the Rangers!).  I’m also going to be in Texas during the middle of April for my birthday - I love Africa, but I really want to wake up in my own bed for my 30th and celebrate with my friends and family.
Still, there is a lot of Kenya time between now and the end of May, and I plan to make the most of it!  More updates (and photos) to come soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment